Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation acquired
Boeing C-97G 52-2718 in 1996. A former KC-97, 52-2718 is one of only 2
remaining airworthy C-97's in the world. We plan to operate the "Angel of
Deliverance" as a "flying museum, and classroom", in the same manner as we do
with our Douglas C-54, "Spirit of Freedom". We plan to tell the story of
the Cold War, from the Berlin Airlift of 1948 to the fall of the Berlin Wall in
1989. This will include such events as:
The Berlin Airlift
The Korean War
The "Red Scare" and
The Cuban Missile
Sputnik and the Race to the
The Vietnam War
The Arms Race
Glasnost and the fall of the
These topics will be represented as part of a
Timeline-oriented display throughout the fuselage of the aircraft. It will
be augmented by artifacts, photographs, personal experiences, and it will be all
housed in the hull of a true Cold Warrior, a former KC-97. The KC-97
helped the USAF maintain a "round the clock" presence in the air by becoming the
first real air-to-air refueler.
HISTORY OF 52-2718
Manufactured by Boeing Aircraft Company, Seattle WA, as KC-97G and delivered to
the USAF on April 27, 1954.
Apr. 1954 to 98th Air Refueling (Medium) Squadron
(Strategic Air Command), Lincoln AFB,
Sep. 1954 to 96th Bombardment (M) Wing (SAC), Altus AFB
(Deployments to Ernest Harmon AB, Newfoundland, Elmendorf AFB AK, and Mountain
Sep. 1957 to 96th Air Refueling (M) Squadron (SAC), Altus AFB
Jun. 1958 to 97th air refueling (M) Squadron (SAC), Malmstrom
Feb. 1961 to 407th Air Refueling Squadron (SAC),
Jul. 1961 to 26th Air Refueling Squadron (SAC), Plattsburgh
Feb. 1962 to 4108th Air Refueling Wing (SAC), Plattsburgh AFB
Jan. 1963 to 497th Air Refueling Wing (SAC), Plattsburgh AFB
Aug. 1964 to 128th Air Refueling Wing (Air National Guard),
General Billy Mitchell Field, Milwaukee WI
Aug 1965 Converted to KC-97L
(Two General Electric J-47 jet engines installed under
outboard wings, so
the aircraft could refuel the fast jets.)
Sep. 1972 to 151st air Refueling Group (ANG), Salt Lake City
UT (Deployments to Rhein Main AB, Frankfort,
Germany, "Operation Creek Party")
Sep. 1976 to Military Aircraft Storage and Disposition Center,
Davis Monthan AFB
Jul. 1977 Dropped from Inventory as
1986 Auctioned to unknown
group who converted her to
C-97G (Removing Aerial Refueling Equipment, and Fitting Cargo
1988 Seized by US Marshal Service
and auctioned to Grace Aire Inc. of Corpus Christi
TX. (Operated as a cargo transport for humanitarian missions to South America
and to carry fish in
4-22-1996 Purchased by Berlin Airlift Historical
1997 Aircraft paid
for in full by Berlin Airlift Historical
Oct. 1998Ferried from Moses Lake, Washington to Greybull, Wyoming for
inspection and restoration.
Approval of Inspection program achieved.
Aircraft painted in colors
of YC-97A 45-59595, the sole C-97 used in the Berlin Airlift.
July 2001, Ferried from Greybull, Wyoming to Aberdeen South Dakota.
Nov. 2001 Ferried from Aberdeen SD to Millville, NJ.
May 2002 Ferried to Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn, NY
on a loaner #3 engine.
November 7, 2017
After a long restoration process, the "Angel" has returned to the skies!
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Join our National Support Group!
It takes a great deal of support to keep
a unique aircraft like this in the air. Consider making a donation or
becoming a member of our "Tiger Team" to secure the C-97's future.
Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation is a non-profit educational group that
exists to educate the public. We operate largely on donations and
continued support by dedicated volunteers. Without your support, these
aircraft will be scrap metal, and a great defining chapter in history will
Foundation is listed in IRS Publication 78 as a 501(c) (3) tax exempt
charity. The Foundation tax exempt documents are available for public
inspection upon request by writing to the Foundation at P.O. Box 782
Farmingdale, NJ 07727
your support for the BAHF and the
with this great gear!
These and other great BAHF Gear available through Teespring